Florence Academy of Art Information
1. Questions or general information please contact Joel Pace at jpace(at)aaart(dot)edu or joel.pace(at)sbcglobal(dot)net or stop by Room 206 between 8:20 and 3:35, Mon - Thur.
2. Check out the Florence Academy of Art website
3. Academy students attend during their 7th semester of study
4. Students who plan on attending in the Fall 2012 session need to have their application completed by April 1, 2012. Students also need to inform Marcia Thomas of their intention to attend (this should be done before beginning the application process).
5. We (the American Academy) will package and send our students applications to Florence.
6. For the application, students must submit:
a.)Completed Florence Academy of Art application (print from their website)
b.)Five photographs of drawings. These should be done in an “academic” style. Check the Florence website for an idea of the kind of work they do there. We will arrange to have the school’s photographer shoot the application photos, so the work needs to be complete before the April 1 deadline. Students are welcome to attend my drawing classes or Mr. Yang’s open sessions to produce drawings for the application. If more drawing time is needed, the Palette and Chisel has open drawing sessions.
7. Payment is handled through the American Academy of Art.
8. Students fulfill their General Education requirements through a correspondence course. Check with Mr. Thomas for details.
9. Housing arrangements can be made through the Florence Academy of Art. Here’s the information that I received on this subject: “With regard to housing, we offer students the possibility to join the Housing Plan in which we find them accommodations in a single bedroom in a furnished apartment with other students on the program. These are always within walking distance or short bus ride from the school. The rent is usually between $ 500.00 - $ 600.00 per month per person.”
10. A Travel Visa is not required, but students will need a Passport (get this early)
11. Please be aware that this program does not fit into every major. Check with Marcia Thomas if there are any questions as to this issue.